Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day Salute



I hope you all had a good Memorial Day. It really sank in this year for me, what a service that my Father did for our country and for our family by serving in WW2. Growing up as a child Daddy didn’t talk that much about “the war”, just a few details about the jobs he held, a few amusing tales, how fortunate he was to return home, nothing too “scary”. In my child’s perspective, going to war was just something that men did. When we went to the movies and saw the news clips of war, as a child, I believed that there was always a war somewhere. Seems like that’s true again. Only over the years, and a lot recently with all the current wars, have I learned to appreciate his service to our country; how frightening it must have been, friends he lost, how fortunate he was in his assignments. Recently Daddy has been telling me that he believes that he was spared so that he could return home to raise a good family, and he did. We have been so fortunate to have him for our Father. I thanked him this year.


If it had not been for Daddy's love and support, I would probably not have my own studio where I teach art and painting, and you would not be here painting with me.