Saturday, February 25, 2012

Serendipity

"You must remain open to the unexpected and welcome serendipity."  Karlyn Holman

Love the word serendipity and it's meaning.   Rick and I have enjoyed and looked forward to our serendipitous finds, keeping our eyes open for such events, and remaining open to exploring these occasions. We've made some delightful discoveries.

This is true in relation to his photography and my painting.  We continue to be intrigued with what we happen upon when not looking for it.  These fortunate discoveries are there waiting to be explored.

I've been asked by a NC chapter to teach watercolors in a seminar. Watercolors? I'm an acrylic artist and am just learning about painting with watercolors. I was hesitant at first but decided to look on this as a learning opportunity. I'm always glad to pass on to others anything that I learn. So I've been studying watercolors and the more I learn, the more exciting they become. Since I understand value, colors, line... my greatest  challenge is becoming familiar with the media. What paper do I prefer? How do the paints interact and react? ...  But that's the fun, experimenting and trying different techniques.

Now, what to paint? I had been through lots of photos on my computer looking for an inspiration that might work with the techniques that I've discovered. I had found some possibilities but wasn't excited about any of them. Then, I passed the computer when my screen saver was displaying one of Rick's photos of our cat, Dusty, and that was it.  See what you think.

Day Dreaming: Dusty
This was a lot of fun to paint. This was my second attempt with this painting. I wasn't pleased with the results on 140# paper and the eyes weren't the color I was looking for.  I went back to my favorite 300# paper, first testing all my blues to find the perfect color for the eyes.  Experiments, mistakes, adjustments, and successes, I was pleased with my creation.

Serendipity: unexpected fortunate discoveries.  An aptitude for making desirable discoveries by accident.

Open up to your artistic serendipity: explore, try new techniques, recognize an interesting result even if wasn't what you were expecting, learn, and share. Develop your aptitude.
Liz